Now that you have ripped your Blu-ray movies to a hard drive, hopefully as MKV files, you might be wondering how am I going to watch this on a TV? There are several options for streaming movies to an HDTV, with the cheapest being the Roku XD and the AppleTV. The problem though is finding such a box that supports 1080p MKV files (forget ISO files for now). Yes, I am looking at you Roku. Apple is a snob like that. Roku should know better.
While I would love to play MKV files over an Apple TV, it just is not happening. You would need to convert everything to mp4, which is possible using Handbrake, but a pain just the same. My recommendation is a Boxee, which runs about $200. Yes it is more expensive, but it can do just about everything an AppleTv can, except for buying moveis from iTunes.
Here is a screenshot of the movie interface. Simple and clean.
The product sepecifications are as follows:
- Dimensions (LxWxH): 4.5″ x 4.5″ x 4.6″
- Language Support: English, French, German, Italian, Spanish
- Network Protocol Support: IPV4, ARP, TCP, UDP, ICMP, DHCP Client, DNS Client, DDNS Client, HTTP Server, Samba Client, RTP/RTMP, VPN: PPTP, DLNA 1.5 (DMP)
- Wireless: 802.11n/g/b
- Ports: HDMI 1.3, 10/100 Fast Ethernet, 2x USB 2.0, Optical Audio (S/PDIF), Analog Audio (RCA L/R)
- Memory Card Support: SD, SDHC up to 32GB, MMC
- Audio Formats: MP3, WAV/PCM/LPCM, WMA, AIF/AIFF, AC3/AAC, OGG, FLAC, Dolby Digital/Dolby True HD
- Video Formats: Adobe Flash 10.1, FLV/On2 VP6 (FLV/FV4/M4V), H.264 AVC (TS/AVI/MKV/MOV/M2TS/MP4), VC-1 (TS/AVI/MKV/WMV), MPEG-1 (DAT/MPG/MPEG), MPEG-2 (MPG/MPEG/VOB/TS/TP/ISO/IFO), MPEG-4 (MP4/AVI/MOV), DivX 3/4/5/6 (AVI/MKV), Xvid (AVI/MKV), WMV9 (WMV/ASF/DVR-MS)
- Image Formats: JPEG, PNG, GIF, BMP, TIFF
- Playlist Formats: M3U, PLS, WPL
- Subtitle Formats: SRT, SUB, SSA, SMI, ASS
- Supported Resolutions: H.264: 1080p at 30 fps, 1080i at 60 fps; WMV9/VC-1: 1080p at 30 fps, 1080i at 60 fps; MPEG4: 1080p at 30 fps, 1080i at 60 fps; MPEG2: 1080p at 30 fps, 1080i at 60 fps
- Two-Sided RF Remote: with 4-way navigation and full QWERTY keypad